About Me

My photo
Alcalá de Henares, Madrid, Spain
I recently earned my Masters in History at NWMSU and am now working as a language assistant in a Spanish elementary school.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Apartment Found

Lot of walking today. Cody and I found an apartment not far from the school in the downtown (and older) area of Alcalá de Henares. It is on the eighth floor of a building above a butcher's shop. It is shared with two Spaniards whom I have yet to meet. There are many shops and a grocery store nearby. I will put some pictures of the apartment online soon. We move in tomorrow. We visited some other apartments, but they neither as nice nor as close to the school. We also visited the school where we will be assisting (CEIP Federico García Lorca) and met some of the other teachers. Here's a picture of a statue of Cervantes and his creations, Don Quixote and Sancho Panza, which is located outside the school:
The director of our program, Pilar, showed us around the downtown area and recommended some restaurants. (I'll post some pictures of the area later.) Afterwards we went back to La Garena, the district near out hotel. Here's some more pictures from the Plaza Garena:
We also ate at a restauarant on Plaza Garena called Indalo. I ate a dish called sepia a la plancha, which was grilled cuttlefish. It was very rich and delicious. I don't know why we don't eat this stuff back home.
Tomorrow we are going to buy a few things for the apartment and possibly take the train to Madrid to find where our training (which begins on Monday) is located.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you found a place to stay that is near the school and markets, shops, etc. Looking forward to seein photos of the place. Mom and I went looking for a laptop tonight. Saw a couple we liked. I may go back tomorrow after looking them up online tonight. Hope you get internet at your apartment soon, especially high speed. The grilled fish looks great! Have fun tomorrow on your journey into Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks great! Can't wait to see your apartment. The new computer is so that we can have one downstairs for grandma because she can't get upstairs to see you on Skype. Take lots of pictures and have a great day in Madrid tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Scott is going to be so excited when he hears about what you ate!! Glad you found a place. Sounds like it is located in a neat older area. I miss you! Oh... I still have your toothbrush and travel toothpaste. YOu are probably going to need those soon so let me know if I need to bring them to you:) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric I am so glad to hear things are moving along smoothly for you. I appreciate all the pictures, I feel like I am there when reading your blog. Make sure you get a comfortable couch when you furniture shopping. I want to have a comfy place to lay my head when I come visit. LOL Take care and I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

    Love,
    Aunt Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Eric, what can I say except...WOW.. It looks like you are having the time of your life. The food all looks great to me, but Uncle Jerry said he would sure lose weight if he was over there..lol
    Take care, be safe and ENJOY!!!
    Love Aunt Linda and Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete