About Me

My photo
Alcalá de Henares, Madrid, Spain
I recently earned my Masters in History at NWMSU and am now working as a language assistant in a Spanish elementary school.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Every Great Day Begins With Miel Pops


Today I had nothing to do, so I explored some more of the town of Alcalá de Henares. I found the University of Alcalá which is about ten minutes from my apartment on foot. I milled about here taking pictures and got asked by a Spaniard with a cigarette for a light. No tengo un fuego, lo siento. The university was founded in 1496 by Cardinal Cisneros, a powerful figure who brought many religious and political reforms to Spain during the rule of Fernando and Isabel. The university still functions and I actually met a girl from Dresden, Germany while I was taking pictures who was visiting the campus and planning on enrolling in the engineering program. Here are some photos of the university:

After leaving the university, I wandered through some more back streets and finally chanced upon the birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes. Outside his house were statues of the main characters from his masterwork, Don Quixote, Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.
After this, Cody and I went grocery shopping at the local supermarket, Hiper Usera, and I bought a type of Basque sausage and bread casserole and some Spanish omelettes. It was a very relaxing day. Tomorrow I start work, then have a three-day weekend after that.

3 comments:

  1. Do you realize how rough you have it? Off today, work tomorrow for 4 hours and then off for three days. I don't know how you do it. You and Cody must be exhausted......... good luck at your first day on the job. Don't let those first graders take advantage of you guys. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that cereal looks like the kind you would go for! How about Pop Tarts? Have you found anything similar? The campus is beautiful. Have fun with the little ones tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Eric! What a time you must be having!!

    ReplyDelete