About Me

My photo
Alcalá de Henares, Madrid, Spain
I recently earned my Masters in History at NWMSU and am now working as a language assistant in a Spanish elementary school.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Leaving Tomorrow

As many of you know, I will be living in Spain for the next nine months to act as an assistant in an English-language elementary school. My friend Cody is also participating in the same program. I fly out of Kansas City tomorrow morning around ten and will reach Madrid at eight in the morning, Thursday 24 (Spanish time). I will live in a suburb of Madrid called Alcalá de Henares, home of Miguel de Cervantes, author of Don Quixote.

I had to fly to Chicago last Wednesday in order to pick up my student visa from the Spanish Consulate. The collecting of said visa was very easy. After getting off the plane at Midway Airport, Cody and I took the L to the downtown area, walked a few blocks to the consulate, rode the elevator to the fifteenth floor, sat for a few minutes in a waiting room, and was then handed the visas (along with some complimentary buttons). I hope officialdom in Spain goes as swiftly. I had enough time to wander the city, eat at a pub, and visit Millennium Park (seen here).


Right now I am packing and double-checking to make sure I have everything I will need for the next several months. The preparations have kept me quite busy for the past few months and have been a little frustrating at times, but as was advised to Don Quixote, that befuddled knight-errant, "Be patient and shuffle the cards." I am looking forward to constantly renewing my perspective and experiencing new things in the months to come.


5 comments:

  1. bub...
    It was nice being able to have a dinner with the family tonight one more time before you leave. I love you and will miss you so much! Can't wait to see you in March.
    XOXO...
    sissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad noticed that your flight to Spain is late and you'll be arriving later. Hope everything else goes smoothly and can't wait to see you guys on Skype! Miss you already!
    Hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bub, hope all is going well and you were able to get some rest on your flights. What a great chapter this will be in your life. Can't wait to hear about your adventures. Keep in touch.
    Love ya.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eric,
    I was not aware that I could post a comment until your dad sent me a message. I have been reading your blogs everyday and love the pictures. Keep them coming. Hope you and Cody are having a great time. Have fun and be safe. Enjoy this experience because it is a once in a life time thing and you are just the person to be going through it. Stay safe and well..
    Love, Aunt Linda and Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Eric,
    Well I am loving reading your blog. Sounds like you are having a great time and meeting some great people. Enjoy it all, take it all end and BE SAFE!! How is the weather?? It has turned off cold back here. I just made a big pot of chilli!!
    We love you,
    Aunt Linda and Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete