About Me

My photo
Alcalá de Henares, Madrid, Spain
I recently earned my Masters in History at NWMSU and am now working as a language assistant in a Spanish elementary school.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Relaxing Weekend and Paella

I didn't do much this weekend other than walking through town more and sitting at some plazas. I'm making plans to visit the Old Town in Madrid where much of the Renaissance architecture is in the upcoming week. Cody and I found a supermarket in the commercial district of Alcalá de Henares called Carrefour where I bought some groceries. There is a huge seafood section in the back where we watched a woman chopping up fish. They also sell entire legs of dried ham. Near the grocery store stands a modernist statue of Don Quixote which everyone refers to as "the alien."

On Sunday I took the opportunity to photograph some detailed aspects of the town and to watch some artists at work on the streets.
Today I returned to work and assisted in four classes, grades 3, 4, and 6. They are doing very well with their English. I read verbs to one class today and had them mime the actions. Another class worked in small groups to attempt to solve a riddle. They could ask "yes" or "no" questions, but only in English.
After school, Cody, Tamara (another assistant), and I went downtown and had lunch at a restaurant called Maimonides, named after the medieval Jewish philosopher from Spain. I ordered a two course meal of paella and pork. Both were very good. The paella included full-bodied shrimp (the first I have ever eaten) and mussels with rice and peas, all flavored with saffron. I wish I had had my camera with me because it was a very interesting-looking dish. One which I will surely order again.

2 comments:

  1. Man, you are eating some very interesting dishes. Has Cody tried anything different or is he still sticking to eating bacon? Tell him I said you can't go wrong with bacon. Hope to see more pictures of you & Cody and your new friends as well.
    Take care.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten whole shrimp before. You're a lot braver than me! I look forward to each post and so does everyone else, so keep up the good work.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete