About Me

My photo
Alcalá de Henares, Madrid, Spain
I recently earned my Masters in History at NWMSU and am now working as a language assistant in a Spanish elementary school.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wanderings

My job has been moving along smoothly. I've been planning some learning materials to implement in class and setting up individual tutoring sessions outside of class for extra money. The physical education teacher wants me to tutor his two kids on Tuesdays and Fridays in the afternoon. I will be a conversation partner for them, correcting any mistakes in their speech. I will begin next Tuesday as this upcoming Friday is a local holiday for Alcalá de Henares.

A couple of days ago, Cody and I wandered through the town and found a building called the Laredo Palace. It is part of the University now, but was originally built in the mid-nineteenth century in the style of the Islamic architecture of medieval Spain. The brickwork on the building was amazing.
We then walked past the Plaza de Cervantes where the town was preparing for the upcoming Cervantes festival which takes place this weekend. The people of Alcalá de Henares recognize Cervantes' birth on 9 October every year with a series of plays, games, and street vendors. The Plaza, as seen here, is being decorated in a style similar to Renaissance Festivals.
After class today I ate at a tapa bar called El Baserri and had some chorizo cooked in red wine. The wine gave a strong flavor to the sausage and the dish was again served with bread. I'm relaxing the rest of the day, getting ready to visit the festivities downtown this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. That's great that you are able to get some tutoring jobs. Love the brickwork in the photos. The festival sounds like a lot of fun, so have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh... I want to go shopping at this festival. Sounds like a lot of fun. I promise I am going to set up skype this weekend. Maybe we can plan a time next week to talk. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, especially enjoy the old buildings and all of the detail work on them. Have fun this weekend at the festivals.

    ReplyDelete